Looking back on 2012, I'm astonished what our current Board has accomplished over the past eight months; here's our Top 10...
- Won the 2012 State Bar Diversity Award (for fighting Prop. 8, "It Gets Better" videos, Connections mentoring program, exploding membership, stimulus package, etc.)
- Filed an Amicus Brief in the Golinski case, and invited 11 sister bar associations to sign-on.
- Welcomed back 30-years of BALIF alumni with our first-ever "Homecoming".
- Endorsed Tara Flanagan's campaign to be become the second out lesbian elected judge in the East Bay (and LGBT Judge #37 of the 1,678 judges in CA).
- Raised $8K+ in scholarship money, and created the Novak Druce IP student scholarship to send 11 students to the LavLaw Conference in Washington D.C.
- Helped over a dozen BALIF members secure jobs despite the harsh legal climate.
- Launched BALIF's Community Volunteer Initiative at the National AIDS Memorial Grove.
- Presented BALIF's first ever Corporate Counsel Awards to Andrew Vu and Hilary Ware at our swankin' holiday party.
- Jump-started our Connections Mentoring Program with a "speed-mentoring" event that matched 40+ pairs of mentors and mentees.
- Added 170 new members in 2012, on our way to our two-year goal of "BALIF 1K" in two years.
Feel free to share this list the next time you're asked "what does BALIF do?" And we're barely getting started, folks - wait until you see what we're planning for 2013...