**APPLICATION SUBMISSION FOR THIS SCHOLARSHIP IS NOW OPEN**
The Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Silicon Valley ("APABA Silicon Valley") Charity Foundation and the Bay Area Lawyers for Individual Freedom Foundation ("BALIF Foundation") are pleased to announce a special joint scholarship for law students who have a demonstrated commitment to the Asian Pacific American and LGBTQI communities.
PURPOSE: To recognize law students in the greater Bay Area who have shown excellence and achievement in law school and have:
- Overcome personal hardships or challenges;
- Shown excellence and achievement in law school;
- Demonstrated leadership potential and a history of involvement with Asian Pacific American ("APA") and LGBTQI student, professional, or civic organizations; and
- Demonstrated service in support of their local APA and LGBTQI communities.
AWARD: One (1) joint scholarship of $3,000.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Application for the scholarship includes the following:
- Résumé submission. Please include grade point average if applicable. The applicant's grade point average and law school enrollment are subject to verification.
- Essay submission (two page maximum). The essay should address how the applicant fulfills the above-mentioned purpose of the scholarship.
- Interview. Scholarship finalists will be interviewed (via video conference) on Sunday, June 28, 2020.
The APABA Silicon Valley Charity & the BALIF Foundation also require that the recipient:
- Attend and volunteer at the APABA Silicon Valley 35th Annual Gala, at Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara, California, on October 9, 2020 (assuming the event isn't postponed/cancelled due to COVID-19);
- Attend the BALIF Annual Gala in 2021 (invited but not required to attend);
- Become a Student Member of APABA Silicon Valley (free of charge - sign up here) and BALIF ($10 - sign up here);
- Participate as APABA Silicon Valley's Student Liaison at his or her law school by (i) advertising APABA Silicon Valley events and scholarships, and (ii) encouraging fellow law students to attend events and apply for future scholarships;
- Join and actively participate in an APABA Silicon Valley Committee; and
- Become a New Member with APABA Silicon Valley and BALIF upon graduation.
DEADLINE: Applications must be received by Friday @ 5:00 p.m., June 19, 2020.
If there are any questions, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that applying for this scholarship doesn't preclude you from applying for the APABA Silicon Valley Achievement Scholarship as well. We encourage you to apply for both if applicable, but two separate essay submissions will be required if so.